Sunday 10 April 2016

Quilled Fondant


I've wanted to try my hand at quilling for a while (with fondant though - not paper. Although I might give that a try too, now!) It looks like a lot of work, but it's actually a very simple technique. And you end up getting completely absorbed in the process. It's hard to stop!

I made this cake for a friend's 40th. She hadn't asked for a cake, but I decided to make one as a gift... honestly, that was my motivation - not that it was a good opportunity to finally try some quilling!




If you'd like to give it a try, here are some tips: 



  If you've only got a wide strip cutter like this one from Jem Cutters, just make your first impressions, then shift the cutter to the halfway mark, and press down again... narrow strips! 


I use a strip cutter to mark my strips, then a clean sharp knife to cut them; you get cleaner edges that way.
It helps to work on a cold surface like granite, as chilled strips of fondant/ modelling chocolate blend are really easy to work with. 


Check that your subsequent strips are the correct length with one trial one before you cut the rest.  





Let your design firm up well (overnight preferably) before placing 
on the cake.










Use pins to keep the decorations in place once glued on with CMC glue


Sterilize the pins first in a little vodka. Drink a shot too, if you need to steady you hands... ;o) 



See, I told you - once you start, it's hard to stop. (The quilling! Not the vodka!!)






Happy decorating!

xxM

No comments:

Post a Comment