Saturday 26 March 2016

Easter Cookies 2016


 I had great intentions to bake and decorate a cake for Easter this year, but we've just come home from a couple of days in the 'Berg and the humidity back here in Durban has made the thought of any baking and decorating, well... unthinkable!
So, this is all I have to offer:  this year's decorated Easter cookies.



Last year's Easter colours were bright and bold, with teal and brown dominating (teal was definitely my go-to colour for 2015). This year it was time to revert back to pretty pastels.

Actually, back in January when I'd scheduled the classes,  I'd had a very clear idea of using a particular combination of purples and greens for these cookies, but by the time March arrived that clarity had disappeared and pastels were the fall-back option. But now looking at these pinks and greens together, I'm quite pleased I forgot about the purples.
What do you think?




Here's how I did the "Hoppy Easter" plaque:


Sketch bunny on cookie (I use a non-toxic graphite pencil)


Outline plaque and fill in a couple of white areas 


Once the white icing has dried, outline the pink head and body and flood the body 


Once the body has dried, fill in the surrounding green with flood consistency royal icing, 


                                                   and add wet-on-wet white dots.


Once the background has dried, flood the bunny's head with pink.        Doing it in this order makes the bunny's head stand slightly proud of the background cookie.



Once the icing of the face and body has dried, use SweetAmbs's teddy tutorial to create the fur texture on the bunny. 

And... of course I forgot to take pictures of  how to pipe on the rest of the bunny's face. Yes, really - again! Sorry... 
So baaaa-d! 






But I think you can figure it out - if you can't,  leave me a comment after this post. 




That grassy look is created using this cookie moss technique. Which you'll find is a very comprehensive tutorial ... with photo's of every step....! 

Happy Easter! 

xxM 

No comments:

Post a Comment