Saturday 25 January 2014

Orange and Pistachio Cake with White Chocolate Ganache


Somewhere out there is a prize winning recipe with this combination of flavours. I just don't know where. I had the magazine that it was published in, I'm sure of it. But fits of zealous de-cluttering occasionally take over from my usual hoarding nature, and I fear that that particular magazine was a victim of such an episode. And that inveterate hoarder, Google, couldn't find it either.

So, after finally giving up the search, I've managed to come up with a pretty-darn-good (if-I-say-so-myself) Orange and Pistachio Cake.
Actually, it's so good that it's one of my current favourites.


In the 1:1 000 000 chance that I've been lucky enough to replicate the original recipe exactly,  I offer my sincere apologies to its creator: I'll amend the credit accordingly… and rush out and buy a lottery ticket ; )

Orange and Pistachio Cake with White Chocolate Ganache


Orange and Pistachio Cake
Recipe by Tea, Cake and Create

Preheat the oven to 180'C
Grease a Bundt pan or 18-20cm cake pan.

Ingredients:
150g butter
150g caster sugar
275g flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
Zest of 1 medium orange.
Juice 1/2 medium orange.
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk

50g roughly chopped pistachio nuts - for sprinkling.

Method:
Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Put aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together - beat until pale.
Add the orange zest and vanilla extract. Beat briefly.
Add the eggs, one at a time. (Add 1tbs flour with each egg to prevent curdling).

Add 1/3 of the sifted dry ingredients, then half the buttermilk to the above mixture. Mix briefly.
Then another third of the dry ingredients followed by the buttermilk and orange juice. Mix.
Finally add the last of the flour mix.
Mix until just combined.

Pour into the prepared cake pan.
Bake at 180'C for approx. 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out just-clean.
Remove from the oven.

Leave to cool completely before turning out from the cake pan.



White Chocolate Ganache

120g white chocolate
60g cream (35-40% fat content)

Melt both ingredients together in a double boiler.

Allow to cool slightly.
Pour over the cool cake before the ganache sets.
(If you're using ganache that has already set, heat it gently - either in the microwave or double boiler - until it is at pouring consistency.)
Sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts.


Serve...

... and save the recipe ; )


 xxM

2 comments:

  1. What a waste of ingredients and time!!!!Never again will I visit your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had an unsatisfactory result with this recipe, Dezi. It's so disappointing when that happens. Was it a flavour issue for you, or simply a flop?

      Delete