Sunday 14 October 2012

5 Eggs and a Brick of Butter

It's been an egg-cellent weekend so far (sorry, couldn't resist!)  We've actually had sunshine - glorious, yellow sunshine (not the weak white wintery kind). And we've put a whole bunch of eggs to great use.

This morning my husband whipped up a pretty fine batch of scrambled eggs - I only mention this because he doesn't  can't cook...and thankfully he got it right the first time, so there were enough eggs left for me to do what I had planned (we go through eggs like crazy in this house!):
Lemon curd and Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

I love making these two - because together they use up five eggs, and 1 brick of butter. Ok, it's a crazy thing to love, but you see - it's the symmetry of it. The lemon curd uses up the yolks, the SMB the whites; and each use white sugar and butter, and a double boiler.
So = perfect to plan to make together : ))

I've posted the recipes before, so nothing new here. But I just wanted to mention them again, because both are really worth making. And if you don't have any reason to use the SMB immediately, it freezes very well.
I'm freezing the batch I made today - I have a ruffle-cake in mind for someone special's birthday in a couple of weeks time, and SMB is such bliss to pipe.

So, find the lemon curd recipe here


and the Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe here. Don't be daunted by it - SMB is actually pretty simple, and extremely delicious! And it pipes beautifully.




(If you do have egg yolks left over after making something, here is a link to a site that has recipe suggestions for how to use up extra yolks, from 1 - 12! So handy! )


Let me know if you try these out...

Happy whisking!

xxM

No comments:

Post a Comment