Monday 18 June 2012

Cookie Recipe

This was the first Cookie recipe I saved onto my iPad, but I didn't try it out until last week when I was preparing the Father's Day cookies.
 I'm glad I did! It is pretty tasty, and maintains the cut-out shapes well. But I did find that the tops of the cookies bubbled when baked, so each one had to be smoothed down with a palette knife to get a better surface for icing.

I also added a tablespoon of milk to the original recipe, because my dough wasn't very doughy! Probably because I was using Vanilla paste (in the little pump dispenser from Woolworths Foods - love their new cupcaking/baking range!), instead  of the Vanilla extract that the recipe called for.

So, this is my version:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
225g butter - cool, but not hard! and cut into small cubes.
1-2 pumps Vanilla paste
2 TBS cream cheese, at room temp.
1 TBS milk

Method:

In the bowl of a mixer, mix the dry ingredients on low speed for a few seconds to combine.
Add the butter, one cube at a time, with the mixer running on low speed. Continue mixing until the mixture looks crumbly.  Add the vanilla, cream cheese and milk, and mix until it just starts clumping.

Then mix by hand, and knead in the bowl until the mixture comes together.

Divide the dough into two balls, and place each half into a clean plastic bag.

Refrigerate for about 30-60 minutes.

Take one ball out at a time (so that the dough doesn't all soften); roll out, and cut out shapes.  Place cut out shapes on a baking tray about 2cm apart, and put back into the fridge for 15 minutes.

Repeat with the second ball of dough, or freeze it if you only want to bake a few cookies at this time.

Bake until the edges are a light golden brown.







I'm going to try adding a little mixed spice and orange zest to these ingredients. If you do it before me, let me know how they turn out!

xxM



No comments:

Post a Comment